Spill The Beans – Soybeans
A low-key healthy grain, Soybean is slowly gaining popularity in the circle of health conscious people. The wholegrain is still a mystery in many remote places, for whom this protein rich grain is a good fodder for animals only! Not many include soybean in their daily grocery list, let alone cooking the same.
Soybean is from Legume family and is found in many shapes and colors, brown, black, yellow and white are a few.
Let us find out what makes this mystery bean so popular among the health buffs.
Beneficial composition of Soybeans;
- It is a complete protein, as it contains all the essential amino acids, which cannot be produced by human body.
- Soybean makes a good substitute for animal protein for vegetarians and vegan lovers.
- It is the only food complex carbohydrate with exceptionally low levels of carbohydrates, and is fat free too.
- Soybean contains almost all the macro nutrients required for good nutrition such as Crabs, fats, and proteins.
- Vitamins and many minerals including calcium, folic and iron are present in Soybean.
- It has Phytic acid, which are anti oxidants.
- Presence of Isoflavons– the natural plant estrogen makes Soybean extra special in combating cancer.
- Helps reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, LDL in blood.
- It reduces heart disease and certain cancer such as prostate cancer.
- Soybean is a rich source of dietary fiber and helps in combating type 2 diabetes.
- Soybean reduces menstrual symptoms in women.
- Lecithin in soybean is a brain food, and act as a tonic for brain.
- It stabilizes blood sugar and thus is a boon for people suffering from diabetes.
- Genistein present in Soybean helps suppress the growth of cancer calls.
- The plant estrogen in soybean is believed to fight breast cancer in pre-menstrual women.
- Soy milk is a boon for lactose intolerant, people who are allergic to milk and milk products.
Some Prudent Options;
- Switch to soybean oil.
- Use soy flakes to garnish your porridge or breakfast cereal.
- Mix soya flour (defatted) in the ratio of 1:5 with the wheat flour for making chapattis or baking cakes and cookies.
- Substitute Tofu with the normal milk paneer.
- Soy milk is a good alternate for people suffering from lactose intolerance.
- Include soy milk twice a week, in your diet and stay fit.
Note: Soybean in raw form is toxic for human consumption. It should be always cooked well in order to destroy the harmful inhibitors in it.
Include Soybean the goldmine of protein in your diet and stay healthy!