Found A Peanut… a Refreshing Peanut Sprout Salad Recipe
Roasted Peanuts or groundnuts are a very popular & economical street snack which are healthy too. These serve as a wonderful travel food which could easily help spark a conversation with your co passengers :) Available throughout the year these nuts are an important addition to various regional recipes of India. I can’t imagine my Poha without fried peanuts and the cold winters without the chikkis and ladoos mom makes at home.
Undoubtedly these are the most economical way to add protein in your diet, when the other varieties of nuts sell at more than ten times the cost of peanuts! Peanuts are actually legumes and are related to beans, peas and other lentils.
- Peanuts are a good source of mono saturated fats, the heart healthy fat.
- These are rich in antioxidants & protein.
- Other minerals present in peanuts are folate, manganese, copper and niacin.
- Peanuts helps against colon cancer, prevents gall stones and many age related diseases..
- Regular and moderate intake of peanuts also reduces weight gain.
- A flavonoid, Resveratrol which is responsible for improve in blood flow in the brain.
Prudent ways to enjoy Peanuts in diet;
- Spread the peanut butter on your whole-wheat bread, waffles, or pancakes.
- Just enjoy roasted peanuts for your evening tea time snack.
- Indian flat breads or chapattis with peanut butter filling and grated veggies make a perfect lunchbox for kids.
- Make smoothies with milk and peanut butter for a healthy & quick breakfast.
- Peanut butter gives a delightful gravy and filling for many Indian curries.
- Cakes, muffins, cookies and breads with peanut butter is a scrumptious treat for any day.
- Sprinkle roasted and ground peanuts over veggie and fruit salad for extra crunch.
Peanut Sprout and Veggie Salad
- 1 cup of dried peanuts
- 1/2 cup of grated cucumber
- 1/2 cup of grated carrots
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp crushed pepper
- Salt as desired
- 1 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves
Method; Wash the peanuts in clean water and soak them overnight. Drain the water and tie the peanuts in a muslin cloth to let it sprout. Sprinkle water every 3-4 hours to keep the cloth moist.
Take out the sprouted peanuts the other day. Wash and peel the carrots and cucumber and grate them.
Take a large vessel and add the sprouted peanuts and rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate the Sprouted Peanut & veggie Salad till use.
- Peanuts come under some of the ‘most allergic food list’ along with other food products such as cow’ milk (lactose), whole-wheat (gluten). Check with your physician for any allergic reaction before consuming these nuts.
- Avoid eating raw peanuts.
- People with kidney and gall bladder problems should avoid peanuts due to the presence of oxalate in it.
- Peanuts get rancid very fast and are susceptible to molds, which can cause health hazards.
- Roast the peanuts and keep them in cool place to avoid fungal invasions.