Peanut Butter Stuffed Okra and Ridge Gourd
With the summer vacation coming to an end and the children gearing up for the school, the days are going to be more hectic and short. Gone are the days of late night outings and no wake up calls in the mornings. Hitler rule prevails again 🙂 Need a good revision of lunch box recipes to be packed to school for the kids.
Okra and potatoes being the two most favorite veggies for my kids are often packed with Indian flat breads along with a fruit or fruit juice. The one recipe which wins hands down for my son’s lunchbox is this Peanut butter stuffed Okra. Peanut butter stuffing gives a nutty and crunchy feel to the dish. I roll a few cooked okra in the wholewheat flat bread (chapattis) and wrap it in an aluminum foil for a healthy & handy lunch. You could even sandwich these stuffed okra in between two bread slices for a quick bite.
The same ingredients could be used for making Stuffed Peanut Butter Ridge Gourd also.
- 12-15 Okra or Ladies finger
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp. red chilly powder
- 1 tsp. dry coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry mango powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Method; Wash and pat fry the okra and the ridge gourd, wipe them with a kitchen napkin. Chop off the head and the tail part of the okra and make a slit on one side from top to the bottom end. Make about 2 inch pieces of ridge gourd and make a slit lengthwise.
Filling; Peel and chop the onion, grind the onion into a fine paste. Take a small bowl and add the onion paste, salt, ginger garlic paste, peanut butter and all the dry spice into it. Mix well till all the ingredients are well blended.
Take a slit okra and fill about 1 tsp. of the above stuffing in it. Repeat the same process with all the veggies. Keep them aside.
Heat oil in a flat skillet or pan. Add all the stuffed okras carefully into the hot oil. Cook for a few minutes on medium heat and turn the okras gently taking care not to spill the stuffing out. Cook for anther 5 minutes and turn off the gas.
Peanut butter; Dry roast 100 gms. of peanuts in a wok till they are light brown in color. Take out and remove the skin rubbing them with a harsh cloth. Grind the roasted peanuts with 1-2 tsp. of olive oil and 1 tsp. of rock salt. Store the peanut butter in a glass bottle and refrigerate till use.
Stuffed ridge gourd taste scrumptious with the same recipe as it imparts a little moisture to the dish makes it an easy accompaniment with Indian flat breads or plain rice.
Garnish the cooked peanut butter Okra and the ridge gourd with fresh coriander leaves and serve them with Indian flat breads or Naan.
- You can avoid peanut butter in the ingredients and still get a scrumptious stuffed okras.
- Use the same stuffing for small Brinjals and scooped out potatoes.
- If extra stuffing is left after filling the okras, smear it on each veggie or just add it during the cooking.
- Avoid using the store bought peanut butter for this recipe, as it contains sugar and will make the dish sweet.
- You can bake the okras instead of frying and reduce the fat in the recipe. Arrange the stuffed okras on a baking dish and bake at 210°C for about 10-15 minutes, turning once in between.