Party Menu – Mixed Fruit Salad with Custard
Mixed fruit salad is also another staple in all of my parties. A dessert easy to make and refreshing to eat with loads of seasonal fruits in it. At times I semi bake it for 15-20 minutes for a different dessert altogether. Add colorful fruit jelly and serve in a designer glass for a classy & exotic look.
Since this recipe is for the mega crowd, it is a simple affair. You can use the ready to mix Custard powder available in the market or make homemade custard powder.
(serves 70 plus)
- 75 gms of cornflour powder or 75 gms custard powder
- 2 liters of milk
- 100 gms fresh Cream
- Strawberry essence
- A few drops of pink food color
- Fruit Mix;
- 2 kg of Banana
- 4 Apples
- 250 gms Strawberries
- 4 oranges
- 200 gms Grapes
- 1 small Papaya
- Juice of one lemon
Wash all the fruits and dice them finely. Cut the grapes into 2. Sprinkle the juice of one lemon over it. I did this a day before and refrigerated the same covering with a cellophane wrap.
Method: Take a large vessel and boil the milk in it. Mix the cornflour or the custard powder with cold water and add it to the boiling milk. Stir constantly, it will start thickening in a few minutes. Take off the flames. Add the color, sugar and essence to it.
Let it cool completely. Beat the fresh cream till it becomes soft and fluffy. Add it to the custard. Refrigerate it for the next day.
Take the prepared custard just before serving and mix it with the diced and chopped fruits. I took the picture the next day, and could not get to show the correct consistency of the fruit salad.
Serve it cold.
- Mix the fruits just before serving, else the custard will get become very thin and loose its consistency.
- When using ready to use custard powder, avoid the color and the essence, as the powder will already have all these ingredients.
- Lemon juice avoid discoloring of fruits.
- You can avoid the cream and yet the dessert will taste the best.
- Add raisins, orange zest and candied fruit peels for a delicious twist to this mixed fruit salad.
Check out the other recipes for the party here;