Mango & Banana Bread – Season’ First Mango Bake
Mango fever is catching up slowly, what with the markets adorned with these plump and juicy yellow fruits filling up spaces in most of the fruit shops. Though the exotic ones are yet to appear on the shelves, the local mango varieties which are not as flavorful and sweet as the former, are happily bridging up the gap. Bought my first crop of sweet and juicy mangoes of this season yesterday. After devouring the king of fruits to the heart’ ful, wanted to bake something with the rest. Moist and extremely flavorful, this Mango and banana loaf is very soft & supple with a yellow tint and subtle taste of mangoes in it.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup refined flour
- 1 medium mango
- 1 small banana
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup curd/yogurt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom powder
- Chocolate chips (optional)
Method: Peel the mango & banana and dice them finely. Grind the fruit pieces into puree and keep it separate.
Sift both the flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder twice.
Take another big vessel and add the fruit puree, curd, olive oil, cardamom powder and the sugar in it. Whisk it for about 5-7 minutes till the sugar is dissolved.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry flour mix and blend the batter lightly using a fork or spatula. Add half the chocolate chips in the batter and mix.
Grease a bread baking tin with oil and pour the batter into it. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips over the batter.
Bake the bread for about 30 minutes or till done at 190°C. Take out of the oven and let it cool completely for 20 minutes.
Slice it thinly and serve with a glass of milk. Spread any fruit jam, chocolate sauce for a delightful tea time munch.
The bread is extremely soft since it has fruit puree as the main ingredient. The loaf cannot be preserved for more than 2 days.
A slice of delight with a teaspoonful of Nutella on it! Looking forward to many more scrumptious Mango treats here.
- Exclude banana and add the same amount of mango puree for a complete mango bake.
- A few strands of saffron will give a wonderful flavor and color to this Mango Bread.
- Increase the sugar by 2 tablespoons and bake the same batter in a round cake tin for a delicious mango & banana cake.
- Chocolate chips give the much needed sweet lift to this loaf.
- Bake this Mango & banana cake without oil and sugar, the fruits in it give a mild sweet taste to the bake just right for a light and scrumptious bread.