Legumes Made Easy – Lentils
Legumes are a great way to add protein in our diet, more so if one is a vegetarian. And Pulses is an integral part of meals in every house in India. Legumes Made Easy is a series started to include all the healthy and easy to make recipes using pulses and beans. This Lentil recipe is very simple and quick to prepare;
- 1/2 cup de husked Lentils (Dhuli Masoor dal)
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 ‘ Ginger piece
- 3-4 pearls of Garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 3 tsps of vegetable oil
- salt as desired
- a pinch of asafoetida
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 cups of water
Method: Wash and soak the lentils till you assemble all the ingredients for the recipe. Peel and slice the onion, dice tomatoes in small cubes. Grate the ginger and crush the garlic pearls.
Heat a pressure pan and pour the oil in it. Crackle the mustard seeds in it, add all the dry spices and the rest of the ingredients except the soaked lentils.
Stir fry the ingredients for 2 minutes and then add the soaked lentils in it. Close the lid of the pressure pan and let it cook till 2 whistles (5 minutes on medium heat).
The lentils can be cooked in a normal vessel also, which might take about 20-25 minutes to cook till the lentils are soft and mushy.
- The Lentils can be served with hot Indian bread or Chapattis and also with plain rice.
- Liquidize the cooked lentil in a blender to make an instant and healthy energetic soup.
- Add any vegetable or greens such as Spinach to make it more nutritious.
- Makes a good lunchbox option with wholewheat chapattis.