Lemony Cornmeal Eggless Cake
Cornmeal is a staple food in many parts of Rajasthan in India and is adapted in many forms of delectable meals. Cornmeal chapattis or Makki Ki Roti as called in Hindi, a crisp and delicious Indian flat bread is an integral part of daily bread in may houses. Cornmeal Porridge, desserts and even sweets are made with cornmeal as the main ingredient.
I remember mom making savory cakes with cornmeal which we used to savor with a spicy veggie curry. In this Lemony Cornmeal eggless cake I added a little sugar for a sweet bake. This cake is very light, easy to bake and is not too sweet.
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal flour
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of powder sugar or jaggery
- 2 tbsp of curd or yogurt
- 3-4 tsp of milk
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup oil/olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
Method: Preheat the oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes. Take a large vessel and add both the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest into it. I used the yellow variety of cornmeal, for a slight yellow tint in my cake.
Take another vessel and add oil, yogurt, lemon juice and sugar into it. Mix it with a blender till it becomes light in texture. Add the milk in the last if required.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Grease a round cake mold or a jelly mold with a little oil and line it with a butter paper. Pour the batter into it and bake it at 190°C for 25- 30 minutes or till done.
Cool the lemony cornmeal cake for 15-20 minutes and loosen the sides with a knife. Invert the cake on a flat plate, remove the butter paper and let it cool for another 5 minutes. Cut it into desired shapes.
This cake is extremely soft and moist in texture. Sprinkle powder sugar or any frosting of your choice
- You can avoid the sugar in the ingredients to make a perfect breakfast loaf. Slice the loaf smear a dollop of butter and enjoy it with a hot cup of tea in the morning.
- The savory version can be devoured with any spicy Indian curry such as Kadi, Dal or soup.
- Add grated carrots, cabbage and herbs in the savory version to make a healthy breakfast bread.
- Orange juice can be replaced with the lemon juice in it for another citrus flavor bake.
Check the on-going WWC event on Lite Bite for January 20100.
Some other healthy bakes on Lite Bite you may like;