A Healthy Wholewheat Veggie Pot Pie
Pot pie is a baked pie recipe, which is filled with loads of veggies and covered with whole-wheat or flaky pastry. Easy to make and healthy, these are a perfect and wholesome dish for the cold winter nights.
The top crust can be made flaky with refined flour or a bit dense and chewy with wholewheat. Since I like whole grain in my baking recipes, I baked this pot pie with whole-wheat pastry which was similar to a baked wheat biscuit texture.
Vegetable Pot pies are a delicious comfort food, made with the seasonal fresh veggies. These can be can be created in individual pots or as whole pie in a single serving dish, as I did. I used egg less Mayonnaise instead of white sauce to reduce the time further.
Ingredients for the Crust;
- 1 cup of wholewheat flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. Milk
Method: Take wholewheat flour in a big vessel and mix with salt. Add oil and rub the flour with fingers to make it resemble breadcrumbs. Make a well and pour the milk into it. Gently mix the whole flour using a fork. Knead to make a hard dough. Make two balls and use one for lining the bottom of the pot pie.
Roll out one of the balls into thin circle and line a round pie dish with it. Prick the dough with a fork. Bake it at 190°C for 8 minutes.
Roll out the other ball and cut into stripes using a sharp knife and keep aside.
Ingredients for the Filling;
- 50 grms of Cheddar cheese
- 50 grms of Mayonnaise
- 1 large onion
- 1 Tomato
- 50 grms of Broccoli
- 50 gms of American Corn
- 50 grms of colored Bell pepper
- 1 Potato
- 4 tsp. of Oil/butter
- Dry herbs (Oregano or Rosemary)
- 1 tsp of White pepper powder
Method: Peel onion and dice it finely. Wash and slice all the other veggies into bite size pieces. Grate the cheese and keep it aside. Heat oil in a skillet and add all the dices veggies into it. Fry it for 2 minutes and take off the flames. Mix the sauteed veggies with the Mayonnaise.
Add the veggie and Mayonnaise mix over the baked pot pie crust.
A thick glassware is good for baking such pies in a convection or oven. Take out the baked pie crust from the oven and sprinkle a little cheese over it. Pour all the sauteed veggies and Mayonnaise mix over this.
Cover the veggies with the wholewheat stripes in a cris-cross manner covering the whole dish. Brush the crust with milk.
Bake the pot pie for about 20-30 minutes and take out from the oven. Serve it hot.
- Pot pies with flaky crust made with refined flour are delicious and very festive.
- Make white sauce using milk, refined flour and butter instead of Mayonnaise while mixing the veggies.
- Substitute any veggie of your choice, cauliflower, peas, carrots goes well with it.
- I kept my crust a bit thick to get the wholewheat biscuit taste in my pot pie. But my son did not like this healthy version, he prefers flaky and fluffy pot pies
- Roll the pastry crust thinner and bake it for extra few minutes to get a crisp and crunchy bottom.