Sugar Free Wholewheat Date Brownies – A Delightful Healthy Bake
A sugar free Date Brownie…at the time when you wish no one talked about diet and all that you need is to indulge & make merry! Oh yes, even I am gearing up for my festive baking, eagerly waiting to share my goodies with friends. This recipe was there in my mind for long and I just thought of sharing it for the year before I take a plunge with you into my sinful indulgences 🙂
These brownies are slightly cakey in texture as there is no chocolate, less butter and zero sugar in the recipe which gives any brownie that characteristic gooey texture. Many would not even like to call it a Brownie with no traces of chocolate, cocoa and sugar in it, ..but then what is in a name 😉
Whatever be the name these Date brownies are just perfect for those looking out for something light with less sugar and healthy to eat. Denser than a cake and lighter than a brownie these easy to bake goodies make a wonderful tea time snack. I often use ready to use Date syrup available in the market, but am using homemade date syrup for this recipe.
(makes 10 small pieces)
- 3/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup milk + 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. yogurt/curd
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder (optional)
Method; Grease a flat baking tray with oil or lay a parchment paper greased with a little oil. Preheat a 8×8 baking tray at 190°C for 20 minutes.
Add chopped dates in 2 tbsp. warm milk and leave it for 10 minutes. Sift flour, baking powder and coffee powder (if using) in a large vessel.
Grind the soaked dates along with milk to make a fine paste. Add oil, rest of milk and yogurt to the date paste and stir well.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
Pour the batter in the baking tray, spread it evenly and sprinkle a little sugar crystals.
Bake the batter at 190°C for 15-20 minutes or till done. At times a toothpick inserted may not come out clean from a perfectly baked Brownie.
Take out the baking tray and let it cool completely before slicing the brownies.
These tiny slices may not be like your usual brownies but believe me they are so good for you 🙂
Simple and quick to bake thee sugar free Date Brownies are a favorite to me and hubby dear and the kids eat them only if they are left with no other choice 🙂
- Sprinkle sugar crystals on the batter before baking for a crunchy top and to give sweetness to the recipe.
- These brownies are not the usual sweet and gooey ones, add 2 tbsp sugar in the recipe if you like sweet and increase the milk by 1 tsp.
- Use high quality sweet dates which are soft and juicy for better results.
- Dust the brownies with sugar powder or frost it with icing sugar to add sweetness to the recipe.
- Add walnuts or small chunks of dates for that extra crunch in the recipe.
- Avoid coffee powder if baking for children, add cocoa powder instead.
- Chocolate chips in the batter will tempt your kids to have a bite.
Updated; Milk used to soak Dates is mentioned separately.