A Date with Sunflower Seeds – Baked Healthy Ladoos
Come festival season and all the shops get decked up in new attire, lighting, posters and various gimmicks to attract customers. The most active participants during this time are the sweet sellers. The colorful and attractive array of sweets in the shops are tempting enough to give a try.
Most of the sweets in the shops may not confer to the quality of the ingredients used in it, due to the mere quantity and demand of such goodies. For the same reason I wanted to give a slight healthy twist to this traditional sweet recipe which is almost synonym to Rajasthan.
Churma Laddoo is an integral part of welcoming any guest in Rajasthan. I bake the wholewheat flour balls instead of the normal practice of deep frying them in ghee.
The Sunflower seeds in the recipe gives a nutty flavor as well as extra nutrition to these healthy churma laddoos.
- 2 cups of Wholewheat Flour
- 1 cup of Jaggary or sugar
- 1 tsp. of Cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup of Sunflower seeds
- A few Almonds or badams
- 3-4 tsp. of Ghee or Clarified butter
- 4-5 tsp. of water or milk
- A pinch of salt
Method: Take a big vessel and add the wholewheat flour in it. Mix in the water or milk in the flour and knead it into a hard dough.
Use wet hands if you find it difficult to make the rounds from the above mix. This wholewheat laddoos stays good for several days.
These wholewheat and sunflower delights are healthy and delicious for any day and you need not wait for festivals to devour them.
- You can include or exclude the sunflower seeds if you wish so. It will change the health equation without changing the taste parameter.
- For more indulgence, deep fry the wholewheat flour balls in ghee and the proceed to the above method to make the sweet.
- Pumpkin and cucumber seeds can also be added for extra nutrition.
- It will be a great idea to include this into your kids’ snack box.
- Stays good for several days as there is no water content in the recipe.
- Cover the laddoos with silver foils for more exotic look.
- Pack these wholewheat delights, healthy Churma laddoos in a fancy box and send a gift to your friends or loved ones for a sweet surprise.