Grilled Cottage Cheese, Soya Chunks and Veggies in Spicy Yogurt – A Perfect Appetizer
Grilling is probably one of the best way to enjoy a whole lot of veggies which I find it difficult to use in my normal day Indian recipes. I often use cottage cheese and Tofu in many of my recipes but cherry tomatoes and colored capsicum find its place in salads only. And eating soya nuggets and raw capsicum in salads is a big ‘No’ for my children with the exception of these Kebabs which is their favorite snack.
I let my children arrange the skewers as they wish, if there is no onion for daughter then it is more cottage cheese cubes on my son’s skewers. Whatever be the combo they choose, grilling is a healthier option than other forms of cooking with less of oil in it and am happy that my children are able to relish the taste of grilled veggies.
- 200 gms Cottage cheese
- Colored Capsicum 1 each
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup Soya chunks
- 1 cup Cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup thick yogurt/curd
- 2 tsp. cornflour (optional)
- 4 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt as desired
Method; Cut the cottage cheese (paneer) into cubes. Wash all the capsicum, peel the onion and slice into square shape.
Soak the soya chunks into warm water for 10 minutes.
Take a large vessel and add the thick yogurt in it, add rest of the ingredients for marinade and whisk it well. For making thick curd, tie fresh curd in a clean muslin cloth for about 2 hours and let all the water drain from it.
Squeeze the soaked soya chunks and add all the diced veggies and cottage cheese cubes in the yogurt marinade. Keep aside for about 3-4 hours to let all the spices infuse in it.
Take a few skewers and insert all the marinaded ingredients alternating with veggies and cottage cheese. Spread rest of the marinade over the veggies.
Take a large aluminum foil and keep it on the baking mesh, arrange the skewers on the foil and drizzle olive oil over it. Grill it for 15 minutes and turn the skewer to other side and grill again for 15 minutes till all the veggies and cottage cheese turn golden brown.
Take out from the oven and pour a tsp. of lemon juice over the skewers. Serve the grilled veggies, soya chunks and cottage cheese with green chutney or tomato sauce.
- Makes a perfect appetizer.
- Grind a few mint and coriander leaves and add it to the yogurt marinade to get a scrumptious variation of this grill recipe.
- Curd/yogurt used for marinading should be thick else, the ingredients will not get coated with spices and taste bland.
- If you do not have skewers you can add all the ingredients in a baking tray and grill the same.
- You need to have an acquired taste for enjoying the grilled Soya chunks, as they remain rubbery from inside and crisp and spicy from outside.
- Drizzle a tsp. of honey before grilling for a delightful flavor.
- Best way to eat Tofu is to grill it the similar way and enjoy.
- Try this cottage cheese and soya nuggets kebabs for a scrumptious grilled snack.