Wonder Food Goji Berries and A Smoothie Recipe
I am on a Goji Spree, yes this wonder berry is omnipresent in all my meals. Goji on my breakfast table with oatmeal porridge, in lunch along with yogurt Kadhi and in dinner too with my pulav recipe! Goji berries which were evading me till date are now proudly occupying the most coveted place in my basket during my monthly trip to the health store.
Cultivated in the Himalayan and remote regions of China, Tibet Goji or wolfberry are vibrant red in color and are slightly sweet in taste. And apart from its outstanding medicinal values these berries are the most nutrient foods available to the mankind.
These berries taste like a cross between dates and figs to me. The dried version is too hard to eat, but softens within no time when soaked in water or milk. Though a little bit expensive these are worth every paisa due to the numerous health benefits attached to it. I remember browsing a picture from net of the fresh Goji berries;
Healthy Benefits of Goji Berries
- Rich in anti oxidants such as beta carotene and zeaxanthin these berries are loaded with numerous health benefits.
- The anti oxidants keep a check on cancer cells, reduce blood sugar and lower cholesterol levels.
- It protects eye sight and improves blood circulation.
- Helps strengthen the muscles and boost immune system.
- The berries contain many important amino acids including all the eight essentials which are the building blocks of protein.
- Goji is a good source of Vitamin C and iron.
- It improves memory and helps reduce body fat.
- The monosaturated fats present in Goji is similar to that in Olives and provides the same health benefits.
Prudent uses of Goji Berries
- The best way to include Goji in diet is to eat them raw.
- Brew them in your tea and enjoy your cuppa.
- Make Smoothies with Goji mixed with various fruits and milk or yogurt.
- Bake goodies such as Goji cakes, muffins, Scones and cookies.
- I have used Goji in my Pilaf (pulav) too. And they are a great substitute for raisins in the rice.
Goji Berry & Mango Smoothie
(makes 2 servings)
Method; Wash the Goji berries thoroughly in water and soak them in 1 tbsp. milk for 10 minutes. Peel and chop one small mango into cubes. Grind together the soaked Goji and mango pieces with a little milk. Add rest of the ingredients and blend till well mixed.
- Use sugar if you wish in place of Honey.
- You can replace the curd with milk and vice versa.
- Banana and any other seasonal fruits can be added along with the Goji berries for a healthy breakfast treat.