Eggless Healthy Garlic Scones…err…Quick Bread
10 October 2010 59 Comments
Scones…quick bread…savory cookies? ‘Whats’ in a name!’ For, what could be more satisfactory than a quick and easy to make tea time snack which is healthy too.
With the goodness of wholewheat, curds, oats and garlic these cute goodies are one of my favorites. And my kids loved to help me out in rolling and giving shapes to these Garlic scones. The caterpillars in the baking tray are their creations 🙂
(makes 30 garlic scones)
- 1 cup of wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup of fresh curds
- 1 tsp of garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp of chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of oil or cheese
Method: Peel the garlic and grate 5-6 pearls. Take a big broad vessel and add the wholewheat flour in it. Mix in all the other ingredients except milk and gently fold in with the flour.
Rub the whole mixture using fingers till it resembles breadcrumbs.
Mix very little milk to just bind the above dough.
Make a big ball of the dough and roll it on a plastic sheet using the rolling pin.
Use cookie cutter or a small sharp bowl to cut the scones into circles. Remove the excess dough and roll it again and repeat the same process till all the dough is exhausted.
The caterpillars are done by my kids with the excess dough by rolling into cylindrical shape and twisting it.
Prick each scone with a fork to avoid air gaps and for a crispy bake.
Bake the garlic scones at 180°C for 10-15 minutes or till they are slightly golden in color. Take out from the oven and let it cool. They will become crisp after they cool down.
Serve these garlic scones with a blob of butter, cheese or just plain with a cup of hot herbal tea.
- Substitute cheddar cheese for a different flavor and cheesy taste.
- Avoid garlic and make plain scones if you dislike garlic.
- Stays good for 10-15 days.
- After 2 days these scones will become a bit soggy, I like them in this form also. You can always bake them for a few minutes to make them crisp again.
- Add dried herbs to make it more nutritious.
- Pack these healthy baked goodies in kids snack box for school.
- These Garlic scones make a great picnic and travel food.