Health | Let There be Flax Seeds – A Refreshing Yogurt Dip
Flax seedsare making news for good reasons. A popular source of Omega-3 fatty acids this super food which was known as cattle feed and only to the paint industries is now gaining entry into the kitchens of many households. Flax seeds are a boon to vegans and vegetarians who find it difficult to get Omega-3 in their regular diet.
A little bigger and harder than sesame seeds, flax seeds have shinny yellow or brown color skin. The seeds can be eaten raw or ground and added to various food products. It imparts a lovely earthy aroma to baked goodies.
Whole flax seeds can stay good for 3-4 months while the ground seeds becomes rancid quickly and needs to be refrigerated till used. The best way to store the seeds is to roast it for a few minutes and then grind into powder and store in a zip lock bag in refrigerator.
- Flax seeds are fiber rich and thus are a natural laxative.
- Presence of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) or Omega-3 fat makes Flax seeds a very important & economical source of essential fatty acids for vegetarians and vegans.
- Flax seeds are low in carbohydrates and this makes it a wonderful food for weight watchers.
- It heals reduce the risk of heart attack, cancer and diabetes.
- It can help control high blood pressure and asthma.
- Flax seed are gluten free and are a great substitute of those having gluten allergy.
- Use Flax seeds oil as a dressing for salads similar to Olive oil. Do not heat flax seed oil.
- Eggs in baking can be completely replaced by flax seed powder soaked in water which becomes glutinous instantly.
- Sprinkle powder flax seed on raita, curd, smoothies and milk shakes.
- Mix flax seed powder with whole-wheat flour to make chapattis or Indian flat breads.
- Make sandwich spread with flax seed powder ground with peanuts and green chilly.
Refreshing Yogurt Dip or Raita
- 1 cup fresh thick yogurt or curd
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 small onion
- 1 green chilly
- 2 tsp. Flax seed powder
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin seed powder
- Coriander or mint leaves to garnish
- Salt as desired
- A pinch of Asafoetida
Method; Wash and dice cucumber in bite size pieces or grate it, peel and slice the onion finely. Slit the green chilly into two halves. Roast cumin and flax seeds for a few miutes on slow heat and grind into fine powder.
Take curd in a serving bowl and add diced cucumber, onion and diced green chilly. Add salt and asafoetida. Sprinkle cumin and flax seed powder and mix well.
Garnish the refreshing Yogurt dip or Raita with chopped coriander or mint leaves. Serve it with plain rice, flat breads, as sandwich spread or with baked or grilled veggies.
Try these healthy Flax seeds whole wheat crackers.