Easy Eggless Wheat Germ Muffins
Wheat Germ is one among the precious food ingredients which often fight for a place in my refrigerator. Blueberries, black current, prunes are some of the few contenders. Since getting these exotic foods is difficult here, I normally buy them in large quantities whenever I get a chance to do so.
I dry roast these Wheat germs and store them in a zip lock inside the refrigerator. These then get into my baking, porridge, chapattis, chutneys and various other recipes. Wheat germ gives a beautiful nutty flavor to the dishes.
My daughter who is a bit finicky about trying anything new, gets easily deceived by these egg less Wheat germ Muffins. She loves to take the Muffins to her school, whenever I bake the. And she likes slightly thin muffins which she can eat it without opening a big mouth. I filled the molds a little less than 2/3rd, a cross between scones and muffins.
(Makes 12 small muffins)
- 1 cup of All Purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of Wheat Germ
- 3 tsps of Cocoa powder or Drinking Chocolate
- 3/4 cup of powder sugar
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil/ Olive oil
- 1 tsp. of Vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup of Curd/Yogurt
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- A few crushed Almonds
Method: Take the flour in a large vessel and add the baking powder and baking soda into it. Sift this mix twice using a mesh or thin muslin cloth. Add cocoa powder, almonds (badam) and wheat germ in it.
Preheat the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes. Grease muffin molds with oil and dry flour.
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Blend sugar, curd and oil in a blender for a few minutes.
Add the dry flour mix slowly into the wet ingredients. Do not stir it vigorously.
Pour the batter into the greased muffin molds till it is filled up to 2/3 of its capacity. Bake the muffins at 180°C for 20 minutes of till done.
These are extremely moist and soft muffins. Cocoa in it is a favorite for kids and wheat germs satisfies me for serving healthy snacks to my kids 🙂
- Wheat Germs are easily available in many supermarket stores. For storing and the best way to use these wonder food read the article Wheat Germ.
- Since these muffins are thin, they make a perfect muffin sandwich with peanut butter, Nutella or cream cheese.
- Spread any of the above filling in between two muffins and enjoy the exotic dessert.
- These egg less wheat germ Muffins are quite easy to assemble and bake, you can bake them in batches and freeze in refrigerator for later use.
Enjoy these delicious easy to bake goodies – Egg less Wheat Germ Muffins, which are healthy too.