Banana & Carrot Eggless Bread
‘Necessity is the mother of invention‘ holds true for this Banana & carrot eggless bread which added one more foodie inventions in my recipe network. I never tried a cake or a bread in a pressure cooker, as there was always a smiling Microwave sitting pretty in my kitchen. But the sudden current cut made me do so. After assembling all the ingredients for the bread, mixing the batter and pouring the mix in the bread pan, the current went off and my microwave went silent!
I was left wondering as to how to bake this bread which has been already mixed in. I remember mom baking cakes in pressure cooker and in big woks using sand! Searching for sand was out of question in the cities. I opted for the first option instead, and baked the bread. And to my surprise the bread was as moist and soft as it would be if baked in a microwave oven!
- 1 cup of refined flour
- 1/2 cup of wholewheat flour
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup of any vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of grated carrots
- 1/2 cup of mashed Banana
- 3 tsp of Dates Syrup or dates
- 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
- 4 tsp of curd
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon powder (optional)
- Peel and grate a carrot, mash one medium size banana and keep it aside.
- Mix both the flours with baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Take a big vessel and put in the grated carrots, mashed banana, curd, date syrup or shredded dates and vegetable oil. mix it thoroughly.
4. Pour the dry flour mix in the carrot and banana mixture and mix well.
5. Check the consistency of the batter, add a little of cold milk if it is too thick.
7. Heat 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker, and put a separator in bottom (small mash).
9. Put this wrapped bread pan inside the pressure cooker, and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- The bread baked or cooked in a pressure cooker will not have a crispy and brown crust on top, as it is not baked in direct heat.
- Stays good for a week if kept in refrigerator.
- A good morning breakfast for kids who normally avoid eating in the morning.
- Spread homemade natural fruit jam for extra nutrients.
- Carrots, banana and wholewheat flour provide good fiber in the recipe
- Dates is a prudent way to increase iron content in kids diet.
- Spread any fruit jam on a slice and pack them as a healthy snack box to school for kids.
This trial was surely a blessing in disguise or else I would have never tried a pressure cooker to make a bread. Hope this recipe of Banana & carrot egg less bread cooked in a pressure cooker will serve a good purpose for those who do not have a microwave to bake the same. You can bake the bread with the same ingredients in an oven also at 180°c for 30 minutes.
PS : Pressure cook without the vent. Thanks Nivedita for reminding.