Cottage Cheese Cake – Egg less and No cream version
What better than a light and healthy dessert after a scrumptious meal. This strawberry flavored Cottage Cheese Cake falls in the same category and makes a perfect dessert for my family most of the times. The fact that this recipe is egg less, no gelatin and no cream bake, unlike the normal cheese cakes which are cream based or use condensed milk, makes it a healthier version too.
Fresh pineapple gives a refreshing flavor to this cake, since my daughter likes anything that comes with pink and strawberry, following is the outcome
- 200 gms Cottage cheese or paneer
- 50 gm Agar agar flakes
- 100 ml of milk
- 12 biscuits (I used Marie biscuits)
- 5 Fresh Strawberries or syrup 4 tsp.
- 3 tbsp. of powder sugar
- 2 tsp. of melted butter
Method: Keep the biscuits in a plastic or zip lock bag and crush it with a rolling pin. Make a coarse powder of the biscuits.
Agar agar is a kind of vegetarian gelatin substitute produced from a variety of seaweed vegetation used as a thickening agent. Use gelatin if you cannot find Agar agar.
Cottage cheese, for the process of making cottage cheese check this post here;
Grease a round cake tin with butter. Mix the crushed biscuits with 3 tsp. of powder sugar and 2 tsp. of melted butter. Spread this layer of biscuit mix in the greased baking tin and press it lightly to make the base of cheese cake. Sprinkle a little milk over this layer if you want a firm layer for the cake.
Dissolve the agar agar flakes in warm milk and leave it aside to set. Do not let it set fully.
Mix rest of the sugar powder, fresh strawberries or the syrup into the cottage cheese and blend it in a blender. Since I like the cottage cheese chunks in my cake I did not blend it to a smooth paste.
Add this cottage cheese into the agar agar mixture and mix it thoroughly.
Pour the mixture over the biscuit base and bake it for 25-30 minutes at 180°C.
Take the bakes cake out from the oven and refrigerate it for a good 8-10 hours before serving.
I like the granules of cottage cheese in my dessert the reason I did not blend it into a fine paste.
Pour a tablespoon of crushed strawberries mixed with powder sugar or caramel syrup over the chilled slice and serve.
A few Notes:
- Bake the biscuit base for 10 minutes before poring the cottage cheese mix over it for a crisp base.
- Try fresh pineapple or any other berry with this cottage cheese cake.
- Blend the cottage cheese for longer if you like a smooth texture for your cheese cake.
- You ought to be a cottage cheese lover to really like the recipe for this dessert, as it has an overpowering taste in it.
- Use freshly prepared cottage cheese for the best results.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder or nutmeg powder in the biscuit base for more flavorful dessert.
- If you want more exotic taste replace the cottage cheese with fresh cream. Whip the cream and mix with the agar agar mix or gelatin.