Brown Rice For Dessert – A Healthy Treat
A sweet is always welcome, and if the treat is healthy too, there is no stopping to indulge in it. This delicious and creamy sweet treat is made with brown rice which is a wholegrain and a much healthier option than the white rice. Benefits and uses of brown rice has been explained in my recent article Brown rice or White rice.
I normally used to make this sweet with white rice but stopped doing so after learning the plus points of brown rice. Though brown rice takes a longer time to cook and the texture is somewhat gooey, these are certainly no deterrent in my using these perfect goldmine of nutrients.
- 1/4 cup of Brown rice
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of jaggery
- A handful of nuts (cashew, almonds and raisins)
- 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder
Method: Wash the brown rice in running water and soak it for 15-20 hours. Grate the jaggery and keep it aside. Take a heavy bottom vessel and boil 2 cups of water in it. Drain the rice and add it in the boiled water. Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add 4 cups of milk and let the mixture boil for another 30 minutes. Check for the consistency of rice, it should be soft and mushy.
Take off flame and add the nuts, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and the grated jaggery in the dessert. Mix it thoroughly.
- To add extra flavors, heat 2 tsp of ghee (clarified butter) in a wok and fry the nuts for a minute. Add the ghee along with the nuts over the cooked dessert.
- The same dessert can be made with the normal white rice, brown rice gives health benefits and a nutty aroma to the dessert.
Serve this brown rice dessert hot or cold after the meals.